More of my favorites...

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting

I am feeling a bit uninspired when it comes to blogging lately;  I need to step up my game!  Any great suggestions?!

Last week I was supposed to host a group meeting at my apartment, and then this happened:



Over 16 inches of snow in 24 hours - a total mess.  BUT...classes were cancelled which is completely unheard of at the U!  What a treat!  My roommates and I sat at home all day with a glass of wine watching Sex and the City.  Needless to say my group meeting was postponed, and I was left with a tray of goodies - so dangerous.



The cookies are oatmeal chocolate walnut.  I used the same recipe as my oatmeal chocolate cherry cookies, but rather than adding cherries, I added walnuts.  The chocolate cherry cookies were better, though the walnuts were good too.  I guess it depends on what you like - it's a great recipe!

The pumpkin bars are my Nanny's - my mom's mom - recipe.  They are absolutely fantastic and will melt in your mouth.  I could eat the entire pan myself.

Pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting

1 C oil
4 eggs
2 C sugar
1 - 15 oz can pumpkin
2 C flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t ground cloves
1/2 t nutmeg

For the frosting

6 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
6 T butter, softened
1 T milk
1 t vanilla extract
4 C powdered sugar

Preheat your oven to 350.  Spray a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Prepare your batter in a large mixing bowl, beating the first four ingredients until well-combined.  Add your remaining ingredients, and mix well.

Pour your batter in to the prepared cake pan.  Bake for approximately 25 minutes, and check with a toothpick.  Bake further as needed.

Once the pumpkin bars are done baking, allow them to cool completely.

Prepare the frosting by combining all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mixing with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.  Frost the bars once they have cooled.

Proceed with extreme caution - once you start eating them, you may not be able to stop!

Cheers!

K





No comments:

Post a Comment