More of my favorites...

Monday, February 7, 2011

Chicken white bean chilli - Week three of the lunch challenge

Three weeks down and I am moving right along.  Sunday night I decided to forgo any Superbowl parties for a night of solitude.  And I call myself an advertising student.  That is sad.

It was well worth it, though.  I had a lovely evening alone in my apartment, listening to oldies and sipping white wine.  I also made some delicious chicken and white bean chilli - perfect for this time of year.  I had some last night, and the leftovers made for a delicous, filling warm lunch today.

Chicken white bean chilli

2 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
1 t oregano
1/4 t cayenne pepper
2 cans Great Northern or Navy beans, drained and rinsed
14 oz chicken broth
1 1/2 t garlic powder
4 cloves garlic, pressed
2 cans green chillies
1 C nonfat plain Greek yogurt (a great substitute to sour cream!)
Splash of milk

Boil your chicken breast in water until it is cooked all the way through.  Let the chicken cool, then shred.  Heat the olive oil on a skillet, then add the chopped onion and saute.  After a few minutes add your pressed garlic and continue sauteing.  Once tender, remove the skillet from heat.

Place all ingredients EXCEPT your milk and yogurt in to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. 


Don't let the bland and boring color deceive you!



Reduce heat to low and let the chilli simmer for 30 minutes.  Mix in the Greek yogurt and add a splash of milk as well.



Top with mozzarella cheese and a dash of cayenne pepper for an extra kick.  I would also recommend making some cornbread to go along with it!

Cheers!

K

No comments:

Post a Comment