More of my favorites...

Friday, February 18, 2011

Chocolate whoopie pies

Hey ya'll!

I have neglected to blog for the past week and a half, so it is good to be back at it!  Although, the past two weeks have been anticlimactic in the kitchen arena.

First of all, to be completely honest, I am bored of my lunch challenge; so I am quitting - a whole three weeks in.  And to think that I was going to do it for a whole year!  If any of you have any strong opinions regarding this decision, feel free to share.

Now, moving on to bigger and sweeter things.  I finally found a recipe for chocolate whoopie pies and have made two batches in the past two weeks.  Classic and delicious.  Also, this month's Taste of Home features four recipes for whoopie pies, so stay tuned.  They sound fantastic.

I made my first batch of chocolate whoopie pies in honor of a woman I work with, Kelsey, who just had a baby boy named Rowan Jack.  What a great name.  The second batch was for one of my classes for Valentine's Day.  Both batches were a hit!

Chocolate Whoopie Pies, modified from King Arthur Flour

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk

For the frosting:

3 C powdered sugar
1/3 C butter, softened
2 T milk
1 t vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350, and prepare a baking sheet by covering it with parchment paper. 

In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla until smooth.  Add your egg, again beating until smooth.



Add the cocoa, mixing until just combined.



Alternate adding the flour and mild to the batter, beating between each addition.



Place spoonfuls of batter on to the parchment paper-lined  baking sheet, 2 inches apart.



Oops!  I guess I didn't line my cookie sheets, but I use cooking spray, which worked great.

Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until pies are just set.



Now make your delicious, creamy filling - the best part.  Beat all frosting ingredients in a bowl until creamy.  Add more milk as needed in order to reach the consistency you want.

When your pies are completely cooled, spread a heap of frosting  on to the "underbelly" of one of your cakes.


Place another cake on top of the frosting to make a sandwich.



Killer.

Cheers!

K




No comments:

Post a Comment