More of my favorites...

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Oatmeal chocolate cherry cookies - My new "one of my favorite cookies ever"

The other night I was very much in the mood for baking, as I oftentimes am when I go home.  You see, my mom and Mark are always well equipped with baking ingredients and supplies - far more than I am at my apartment.

I wasn't in the mood for anything super sweet.  I have had a super-sweet overload in recent days (and probably weeks).  So I poked around my current go-to blog, Smitten Kitchen.  Though oatmeal raisin cookies are never my first choice,  I didn't need much convincing after seeing the adjectives "thick and chewy" before "oatmeal raisin cookies."

Raisins are boring, though!  I went in to the pantry and found a bag of dried cherries and chocolate chips.  Perfect! 

Oatmeal chocolate cherry cookies, modified from Smitten Kitchen

1 stick butter, softened
2/3 C packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 t vanilla extract
3/4 C all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1 1/4 C old-fashioned oats
3/4 C dried cherries
Semi-sweet chocolate chips (as you like - I used just over a half bag which was the perfect amount for me)

Preheat oven to 350.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cream butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until smooth and fluffy.







In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients.  Mix well.  Add your dry mixture to your sugar mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.





Stir in your oats, cherries, and chocolate chips.



Refrigerate the dough for a short time, perhaps 20 minutes.  This will prevent your cookies from flattening when you bake them so that they are extra thick and chewy!

Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough, placing each ball about 2 inches apart on the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.



Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.  When I removed mine from the oven, I immediately transferred the entire piece of parchment paper on to the counter so that the cookies would not bake further on the hot cookie sheet.  I really have no idea if this makes any difference at all, but it makes sense to me!



These really are so thick and chewy, the best two adjectives a cookie could possibly possess.  Super excellent.




 
You can substitute many different ingredients in to this recipe for the chocolate and the cherries.  Anyone have any great ideas?!

Cheers,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment