More of my favorites...

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rich and decadent chocolate cupcakes


This is for all of you extreme chocolate lovers.  You must make these chocolate cupcakes and load them with chocolate buttercream frosting.  The only thing that could possibly make them better is using a jumbo pan as opposed to a standard pan.  And you know that I always  prefer the jumbo pan; it just didn't seem necessary/appropriate for a two-year-old's birthday party.

Actually I suppose I should have - Carter really only eats cookies and pizza; he didn't even have any cake (could he really be my brother)!  Such a shame, too, because I love watching toddlers stuff their faces with cake.

Anyway, as you may have gathered, I made these cupcakes for my little bro's b-day party.  This is my second favorite chocolate cake recipe - Chocolate Supreme Cake.  And my, oh my is it supreme.

Chocolate Supreme Cake

2 C sugar
2 C flour
1 t soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 - 1 t cinnamon
1 C buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk, add 1 T lemon juice to 1 C regular milk, stir, and let sit 5 minutes)
2 eggs, beaten
4 T cocoa
1 C butter
1 C water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the first seven ingredients in a large mixing bowl.




Bring cocoa, butter, and water to a boil over medium heat.





Add this hot mixture to the other ingredients, and mix until well combined.



Pour in to cupcake pan lined with muffin cups.  I would start by baking them for 15 minutes, then watch them closely after that.  If you opt to make a 9 x 13 inch cake, bake for 25 minutes.



This is our good family friend Don.  He was over at our house for men's poker night, and he wanted to be featured in my blog!  This is great, Donny! 

And of course we mustn't forget the chocolate buttercream frosting!

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, from Nestle Toll House

3 C powdered sugar
2/3 C cocoa
1 stick butter
6 T milk
1 t vanilla

Beat 1 C powedered sugar, cocoa, butter, 2 T milk, and vanilla. Gradually beat in remaining milk and sugar until creamy.



Yummy, yummy, yummy I've got love in my tummy.

Cheers,

K


No comments:

Post a Comment