More of my favorites...

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Apple pancakes - breakfast for dinner

Every group of girlfriends has their "thing" that they always do together.  My group of girlfriends' "thing" is going out to breakfast.  It is always totally great and very Sex and the City.  I am not exactly sure quite how the tradition started, but I can tell you this:  I love breakfast food.  I could eat breakfast for every meal for the rest of my life.

New Year's Eve Sarah and I decided to save money by not going out for dinner.  I guess we did go out, but only to my parents house, and made dinner there.  We looked through a few cookbooks but were getting nowhere, so I suggested breakfast for dinner.  We had potatoes that we fried up in olive oil, topped with a little salt and fresh cracked rainbow peppercorns.  We also had great ingredients for omelets - ham, green peppers, onion, cheese, mushrooms - so we made omelets, too.

Breakfast, however, is most certainly incomplete without pancakes, waffles, or french toast - anything served with maple syrup.  I pulled up my go-to blogs - Smitten Kitchen and A Cozy Kitchen - and found a recipe for apple pancakes on Smitten Kitchen.

Apple pancakes + REAL maple syrup = Mmmmm....

Apple pancakes, from Smitten Kitchen

2 eggs
1 1/2 C milk
2 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 C sugar
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated
I also added  a hint of cinnamon to the batter.

First, peel apples and grate with a coarse grater.



Whisk eggs and milk.  Add dry ingredients and sugar.  Whisk.


Mix apples in to mixture. 



Melt butter on to a hot skillet or frying pan over the stove to prevent the batter from sticking to the pan.  Place spoonfuls of batter on to skillet, being mindful to leave plenty of space between each cake.  Flatten the center of each cake in order that they cook all the way through.


Allow to cook several minutes, then flip.



So easy and so yummy!  My mom tried them and said they will be a definite "cabin staple."  Really, these pancakes are just as easy as using a mix, and they taste so much better!

Good for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.

Cheers,

Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment