More of my favorites...

Friday, October 15, 2010

Whoooooopie Pies

The whole concept of whoopie pies is relatively new to me.  I first tried them last holiday season when one of Mark's clients sent him a very large box from the east coast.  COULD ANYTHING BE SO DELICIOUS?!  Another thing I have forgotten to mention is that I have a tremendously large sweet tooth.  It is disgusting, really.  The only person I know whose may be bigger is my friend and former roommate Lydia.

Being in college is about eating whatever you want, right?!  Last year Lydia and I made frosted sugar cookies, and somehow finished the entire batch in less than 48 hours.  Never again. 

Anyhow, back to whoopie pies.  I stumbled upon a recipe for pumpkin whoopie pies with cream cheese frosting.  After I finished baking them, I set all but one aside - the biggest one, of course - for a function I have tonight.  I most certainly was not planning to eat the whole thing and then couldn't stop!  They were FANTASTIC.  A perfect fall treat.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

1/2 C butter
1/2 C vegetable oil
1 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 T molasses
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 t ginger
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 1/2 C pumpkin (15 oz. can)
2 1/4 C all-purpose flour

Filling:
8-oz package cream cheese, softened
2 T butter, softened
2 C powdered sugar
1 t vanilla extract

First make the cookies:  Preheat the oven to 375.  Grease 2 baking sheets.  Beat butter, oil, sugar, molasses, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until fluffy.  Stir in the pumkin.  Stir in flour in two additions until mixed.  Place scoops of batter on to baking sheets 2 inches apart.



Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until cookies are slightly firm.  A slight indentation should remain when touching the top of the cookie.  Let cool slightly and remove from pan.


To make the filling, beat cream cheese and butter until creamy.  Add the powdered sugar in 2 additions, beating until fluffy after each addition.  Add the vanilla extract and mix.

I put the cream cheese frosting mixture in to the fridge to harden a bit before spreading it on to the cookies.  Place a dollop of frosting on to the bottom of a cookie.  Place another cookie on top of the frosting to make a sandwich.


What a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment