More of my favorites...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chocolate chip butterscotch cookies

If you asked me if I liked butterscotch, I would likely say, "Eww.  No."  Lately, however, I have had a huge hankering for cookies with butterscotch chips.  Of course I can't have butterscotch with out chocolate, though!

Also, I am always looking for cookies that are more out-of-the-ordinary than your average chocolate chip cookie.  Not  to say that I am going crazy throwing butterscotch chips in to the mix, by any means!

I made a very large batch of cookies for a small gathering I hosted to get ready for our annual Boat Party - a.k.a. spring formal for my sorority.  For this recipe I used PW's Monster cookie recipe but skipped most of the extra add-ins.

I was a bit nervous about the way they baked, as edges browned quickly while the middle was still slightly doughy, but who doesn't love their cookies a little dough-y?!  Everyone thought they were delicious, and I would have to agree.

One great thing about the recipe is the perfect mix of sweet and salty.  Many recipes for baked goods call for unsalted butter (I always used salted), but PW insists on salted for these cookies.  Add 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and Mmm, Mmm; you have yourself one sweet and (a little) salty treat!

CAUTION:  Don't let the doughy centers fool you!  Once the edges are browned, the cookies are almost done, if not done already.  The centers will still look a little soft.  Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring elsewhere.

Chocolate chip butterscotch cookies, modified from the Pioneer Woman

2 sticks butter, salted
1/2 C granulated sugar
1 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 T vanilla extract
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
2 t kosher salt
1 1/2 C oats
Chocolate chips, as you like
Butterscotch chips, as you like

Preheat oven to 375.  Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until smooth and fluffy.


Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth.



Add your dry ingredients and mix until combined, but do not over mix.





Using a spatula, stir in your oats, chocolate and butterscotch chips.



Spoon cookie dough on to a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.  Again, the center of each cookie will be a bit soft, but the cookies will set while cooling on the baking sheet.



Yum, yum, yum.



Cheers!

KCK

1 comment: