More of my favorites...

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Blackberry orange bread with walnuts - you've never tasted anything like this

May I just say, this is my second day blogging IN A ROW.  Pretty good, eh? 

Anyway, can you imagine a loaf of quick bread crossed with a scone?  Scratch that, don't imagine it, make it!  There are two fantastic qualities about this bread.  One - it tastes like a cross between quick bread and a scone - dense yet moist.  Two - the mix of flavors is a kick for the taste buds - unique, refreshing, and delicious. 

I found the recipe for this bread on Eat, Live, Run.  This pastry chef turned blogger/food writer uses fresh cranberries in her recipe.  I did not have fresh cranberries, so I used fresh blackberries instead, which I would imagine is tastier than cranberries.  Maybe that's just me, but I would highly recommend trying the recipe with blackberries.

Realizing that I wanted to bake tonight, I hit the blogosphere looking for a great recipe - something new.  As I posted yesterday, it has been the same old, same old in my kitchen lately.  I hadn't used a recipe from Eat, Live, Run, but I figured it had to be good.  Jenna was trained as a pastry chef.  I was right;  the recipe is fantastic!

Blackberry orange bread with walnuts, modified from Eat, Live, Run

2 C all-purpose flour
2 C fresh blackberries
Zest of one orange
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 stick butter, melted
1 egg
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, blackberries, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and walnuts.  Mix well.


In a smaller bowl, whisk melted butter, egg, and sugar.



Pour your wet mixture in to your dry one and mix.



The dough will  be thick and dense.  At a certain point I had to get my hands dirty.  I kneaded the dough until all ingredients were thoroughly combined.



Transfer the dough in to the prepared loaf pan and bake for one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes.



Ahh!  It's lumpy!  Don't let that fool you.  This bread should be sold at Great Harvest.

Let the bread cool completely before removing it from the pan.  I made the mistake of trying to transfer it to a cutting board too soon, and it kind of fell apart on me.

Cheers!

KCK

No comments:

Post a Comment