More of my favorites...

Sunday, December 19, 2010

First Annual Holiday Party - the preparations

Saturday night my roommates - Sarah and Rachael - and I hosted our First Annual Holiday Party.  With finals finally out of the way, I was able to shift in to full planning gear.  If there is one thing I love more than baking it's entertaining and party planning.

Friday night I started prepartions with a trip to Target.  Decorations were first on my list, and - sadly - I spent maybe 30 minutes in the same aisle trying to feel inspired.



A bulb ornament tree was the best I could do.  We can't fit a real tree in our apartment.  I also filled a small glass vase with bulb ornaments.  Very fun and festive, and great colors.



I can't take credit for this one, and I wish I could.  My mom came up with this idea.   The candle holders are homemade from buckthorn.  Though a very invasive weed that runs rampant in our woods, we have found other great uses for it.  I filled in the tray around the holders with more bulb ornaments.

Saturday was crunch time.  I have found that no matter how far in advance I plan an event/party, and no matter how organized I am, I always end up scrambling the day of.  It is inevitable.

The menu consisted of the following:

Artichoke dip with pita bread
Toasted crostini with brie and roasted cherry tomatoes
Cinnamon sugar almonds
Rosemary-roasted cashews
Christmas cookies
Red velvet whoopie pies
AND Sangria

I started with baking, Christmas cookie cutouts first.  These were far more labor-intensive than they were worth and really aren't my favorite, but festive nonetheless.

Red velvet whoopie pies were next.  See my last blog post for the recipe.  When I baked them last weekend I filled them with marshmallow cream cheese frosting.  I made regular cream cheese frosting for this batch, which was - in my opinion - much better.

...

More later.  (I know this is abrupt.  Sorry!)

Cheers,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment