More of my favorites...

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blueberry bread with lemon glaze

It's a shame.

I had some really great pictures for this post that I took with my new iPhone 4S, but they seem to be lost in cyberspace. Not sure where they went after I plugged my phone in to iTunes. All I know is they're not on my phone and not on my computer. Can any of you techies help a gal out?

This recipe is too good not to post, though, so I'll post anyway without pics. My sweetie, Teddy, lives in Chicago, so I like to bake him sweet treats when I see him. Last weekend we met halfway in the Wisconsin Dells, so I baked him some blueberry bread and added a little twist by adding lemon zest and topping with lemon glaze. A perfect summery mix of flavors.

Blueberry bread with lemon glaze

1 1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C canola oil
1 egg
3/4 C skim milk
1/4 C half & half
1 T lemon juice
1 t vanilla extract
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 1/2 C fresh blueberries
Zest from one lemon

For the glaze:

2 C powdered sugar
2 T whole milk
2 T melted butter
1 t lemon extract

Preheat the oven to 350 and spray two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.

First prepare your buttermilk.  In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine skim milk, half & half, and lemon juice.  Stir and let stand for at least five minutes.

In a large bowl combine brown sugar, oil, and egg. 
Mix until well-combined and smooth.  Stir in your vanilla and buttermilk mixture.  Next, add your dry ingredients to the wet mixture - flour, baking soda, and salt.  Mix until well-combined and smooth.


Fold your blueberries and lemon zest in to the batter.

Pour half of the batter in to one of the loaf pans and the rest in to the other loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

For the glaze, mix all ingredients until smooth.  Add milk as needed so that the glaze will drizzle evenly on to the bread.  Once the bread is completely cool, drizzle on a dollop of glaze.  Let glaze harden.

No pics, but I insist, it's very delicious!

Cheers,



KCK

No comments:

Post a Comment