More of my favorites...

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The very best Rhubarb Bread. Ever.



Last weekend I biked to the Minneapolis Farmer's Market and picked up some fresh, local rhubarb to bake with.  Well, the work week flew by, and when Friday rolled around I still hadn't made a delicious rhubarb treat.  I left for the cabin after work on Friday with my fresh rhubarb in tote.  There is nowhere better to bake than amidst the peace and quiet (well maybe not in my family - but at least I'm out of the hustle bustle of the city) up North.

Usually when I arrive at the cabin my first line of business is always to bake.  Perhaps it's just because there is so much more space to do so than in my teeny tiny kitchen at home, which, by the way, only seems to shrink in size by the day.  Only three more weeks in that tiny kitchen and I'll be moving on to a bigger and better space!

Anyway, I found a fantastic rhubarb bread recipe from Taste of Home.  Lately I've been having a hard time finding great bread recipes, but I have finally found a recipe that is most definitely "Bordertown-worthy," if I do say so myself.

Rhubarb Bread, modified from Taste of Home


1 1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C canola oil
1 egg
3/4 C skim milk
1/4 C half & half
1 T lemon juice
1 t vanilla extract
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 1/2 C chopped, fresh rhubarb
1/2 C pecans

Topping:

1/2 C sugar
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1 T cold butter


Preheat the oven to 350 and spray two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.

First prepare your buttermilk.  In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine skim milk, half & half, and lemon juice.  Stir and let stand for at least five minutes.

In a large bowl combine brown sugar, oil, and egg.


Mix until well-combined and smooth.  Stir in your vanilla and buttermilk mixture.  Next, add your dry ingredients to the wet mixture - flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Mix until well-combined and smooth.

Fold your rhubarb pieces and pecans in to the batter.



Pour half of the batter in to one of the loaf pans and the rest in to the other loaf pan.


Don't forget to make to streusel (I almost forgot)!  Combine the three ingredients used for the topping in a medium bowl.


Using your hands, work the butter through the sugar and cinnamon until it resembles wet sand.


Side note:  Every time I have someone take an action shot, I cringe at the sight of my hands - they always look like my grandma's.  Ahhhhhhhhhh!  I'm too young for that!!! 

Back to the matter at hand, spread the streusel mixture so that it covers the surface of both loaves.


Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Voila.  Beautiful.


One whole loaf was gone by morning.

Cheers!



KCK









2 comments:

  1. So good! I was hesitant to use this recipe because there were no comments but I took a risk and am so glad I did. This was everything I was looking for in a rhubarb bread recipe. So moist and flavorful! The only variation I made was to bake it for 45-50 minutes instead. I will use this recipe again and again. Thanks Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have now done this recipe four times! It tastes great and everyone loves it. It's versatile enough to serve as dessert or for breakfast. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete