More of my favorites...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's in my lunch box? Week two.

I have not forgotten about the challenge that I made for myself, but I have to admit, my lunches have been more boring this week.  However, none of them have consisted of turkey sandwiches.  Always a good thing.

This week I needed to be a bit resourceful.  I always buy vegetables and end up throwing half of them away because they go bad before I eat them.  This week, however, I am happy to report that I have not had to throw one vegetable away.  It also helps that I am trying to get more vegetables in to my diet.

Anyway,  Sunday night around 10 I realized I had to make something, anything, for lunch to avoid packing a sandwich.  God forbid, right? ;)  I sauteed the remainder of the mushrooms and broccoli I had in the fridge in olive oil.

At this point I would add my pictures.  Sadly, my highly un-tech-savvy self cannot figure out how to get them from my iPhone to my blog.  Seems like it would be easy enough, but for some reason I can't figure out how to save them to my computer from my email.  Nor do I really have the patience right now.

I tossed my sauteed veggies with penne, more olive oil, sea salt, fresh cracked rainbow peppercorns, and one clove of minced garlic; however, next time I would add another clove of garlic for more taste.  I topped the pasta with shredded parmesan and heated it the next day for lunch.

The results?  I really liked it.  It was a bit bland - next time I would use more salt, pepper, and garlic - but I will say that despite a small lack of flavor, the pasta was highly satisfying.  Great way to use up extra veggies before they go to waste, too.

Right now I am sipping my favorite red wine, in my adorable new apron, listening to Nat King Cole on Pandora radio.  What a relaxing night!  I am not wearing my new apron solely for kicks, though.  I baked PW's mocha brownies - yum - and am now about to move on to my first attempt at pizza dough from scratch.  Wish me luck, and stay tuned for a great post this weekend!

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Cheers,

KCK

No comments:

Post a Comment